23 April 2015

COOL GIRL.


''Men always say that as the defining compliment, don’t they? She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth while somehow maintaining a size 2,and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl''.- Gillian Flynn Gone Girl(excerpts)
I had recently posted this on my facebook wall, saw myself nodding in concurrence to every word. Shockingly it opened up doors to quite lengthy dialogues both verbally and typographically. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who’s had it up to …{see it?}. Being sucked into the Male; misogynists & all admittance policies to join their circle{s}… It did raise a few  brows and winks circling around misconstrued thoughts if I was amongst the greater scorned…*side eyes*
Dance Troupe from Mangu,Plateau State.

Rather sooner, I realized that every woman’s journey to self-discovery invariably involves the battle of trying to be an epitome of everything for the ‘one’{searching or found}. Where one basically turns off her life/dreams/aspirations just to please him. We alter our looks, wear different apparels ,we fabricate interests just to seem as though we are so astute ,deep and mysterious. Our intellect and emotions are somewhat downplayed all in a bid to seem amiss or aloof; possibly align to his type- all so such thought provoking complex personality.

                             Soundtrack of the moment: 5 seconds of summer-Social Casualty

Growing up, I had always wondered what it will take to make the cut for the list. Physically I was endowned {TDB} though I wasn't the typical teen boys doll choice because of my awkward long strides and shaved mane; I didn’t quite gel with the ladies because they were way ahead of me-boys, makeup & all. I was more into my sciences, always laden with my books, scouting for answers to every ‘y’ on earth and finding ‘x’ {still the proudest nerd on the block}. Emotionally, I could relate. Yes I was sporty and loved the outdoors but that didn’t make me ‘one of the boys’ either. The ‘Cool Girl’ image has been a growing façade for decades especially in a world such as ours where peer pressure ,conformity and the zest of fitting in lies in wake. Teaching our young teens that they would always have to ‘upth’ something, exposing them to their irrational and unfashion alterations seeing as doubt has struck a cord. Truth is,we cant really be everything to someone without slipping into pretense. It also revealing the vast discrepancies & expectations between our true self and what  we strive to portray- not to mention, the inevitable disappointment that is bound to ensue. But this is not a collective Women-plight as the Men are complicit and prone to risks & dangers of pretentious relationships.
Gravity defying pole acrobatics

Frankly, this quote struck gold with my soul. No one should lay such unrealistic expectations-a glutton, a size 2-figure, lover, best friend, eternally forgiving mother all rolled in one-that or expect a ROBOT! Genuinely we are ‘cool girl’ because we are direct-knowing our strengths and accepting our flaws. We are generally opinionated as well as sensitive. YES, we have high standards and even higher moral grounds because we value our years of indifference to life. We surround ourselves with like minded-people; driven, go-getter, independent, and as such are Big Dreamers! We are totally comfortable in our rights so there’s really no need to conform to your standards as much as it doesn’t require validation from others , likewise their opinions about us doesn’t hold water.
More displays



AMY RAVES… We are cool girls, most definitely not their depiction that constantly lives in shadow of herself filled with deception and falsities but we are totally okay with it…unapologetically so.



  Keep a date.                                      THANK YOU FOR READING!!!

32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Serious magic jam,was quite chilling to see them perform...Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Hiya mami...Phew! Okay this is some food for thought right? Nice!



    Tibs Tells Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one way to put it dear.Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Whao! This got me thinking! "We surround ourselves with like minded-people; driven, go-getter, independent, and as such are Big Dreamers! "

    Can you surround me, please? lol. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babe,we already surround each other, thanks to this blogging community...Glad it resonates well with you.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the food for thought ...nice post and picture
    Pheezycorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really something to ponder on..dearie i love the way you break subjects like this down

    www.glowyshoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this dear.

    pamscrib.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photos. Great thoughts. Age old battle.



    Marriedinph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very aged, glad to throw more light n you feel the same. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I think I have never done something (make up, clothes) just to please or catch a guy's attention. That is not just for me. I do things for me.

    Nice post girl and you always have captivating photos

    Rellanaija.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep doing you Rella.The pictures;courtesy of my poor camera...lol. Thanks

      Delete
  9. OMG I love the pole acrobatics, how cool!

    - Liz
    www.LizLizo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was trying to relate the pictures with your post. ...

    We are cool girls and not conforming with the trend....
    Thanks for stopping by
    Bolateethole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly bola,sometimes the pictures are another lecture... lol.Appreciate!

      Delete
  11. Cool photos. Thanks for visiting.

    trendwithgloria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. In a world like ours where everything is superficial, its hard not to be yourself sometimes. Other's definition of cool and whatnot can push one to do certain things, but ofcos always sticking to your self beliefs and what you know is right, is the answer. Great post, Beautiful!
    Have a blessed week and thanks so much for visiting my blog. :-))

    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow great post,got me thinking


    http://styleofzion.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  14. great post. x

    http://champagneandstilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. great post. x

    http://champagneandstilettos.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello...Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting,i highly appreciate it.Feel free to drop a link to your blog(if you 're a blogger) & I'll gladly check it out.